jueves, 11 de octubre de 2012

Reflection On My Sociological Essay


I believe personal essays have a greater appeal to the reader; however, I do not enjoy writing them as much as I like to write formal essays. It’s weird, I know. Each person I have told this to tends to finds such fact odd since personal essays are “easier to write”. I beg to differ. I have always had difficulties writing personal essays mainly because I do not talking much about myself. Some might say the reason is because I am a private person.  Since my essay #3, Nicholas: Just a small town boy? , was not personal I did not find it challenging. I enjoyed writing this essay because it permitted me to apply so much of what I’ve learn as a Sociology major student in a course which is not from my major. I felt excited, like a kid in Christmas or as if I was being tested on my sociological knowledge. It’s a weird feeling to explain, but hopefully as a writer you might understand me.

 If I could choose to add something to my essay it would probably be the page length. Nicholas is a very complex and interesting character and I felt that I left a lot unsaid because I did not want to write more than the maximum amount of pages or bore you to death with a bunch of sociological theories and terms.
 This essay was different than the past ones because I felt comfortable writing it, which might be noticeable in my flow of ideas (or throughout the content).  Also, I did not feel limited in my use of resources. As a formal essay, I was able to cite multiple sources! I know that I could have been able to do so in the past essays; however, because they were personal essays I think the citations would have made the content a bit odd.                                                                
 I am a strong believer that writing can improve and essay #3 is not the exception. If I had the option to improve the essay I would have infused more of my voice because I acknowledge that the reader sometimes likes to read the writer’s personal opinion rather than him or her giving insight on a topic. Regardless of the changes, I do not regret what I wrote or how the essay resulted.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario