miércoles, 17 de octubre de 2012

Looking around in our world


In Looking Around, Lammot argues the importance of paying attention to details, communicating our viewpoints and having reverence when writing. Writing is not a superficial process in which we state facts. “It’s simple in concept, but not that easy to do.” (Lammot 98) As we write we learn to examine the world we live in and develop a sense of self-compassion, hence, we learn to “see people as they really are.” (Lammot 98)Lammot recognizes we do not have a perfect world; however we should forget our narcissistic ways because we all live in it. Hence, there is no reason to conflict with each other or set ourselves apart from the world because it is a “dark place”. Lammot’s piece provides a refreshing and realistic viewpoint of the world. This immediately caught my attention as I chose the quote I liked the most: regardless of the pessimism we encounter on our daily-basis, she argues our focus should be “given to each syllable of life as life sings itself.” (Lammot 102)

Lammot also believes writing helps us see people “suffer and find some meaning therein.” Our self-compassion enables us to write characters which are recognizable and relatable to the readers.  Our goal as writers, she argues, should be to provide the reader with a new way of seeing things, “things that can catch us off guard, that break in our small, bordered worlds.” (Lammot 100)  The prior quote was the one I could relate to the most in the reading. It might bore you to read how I constantly mention my struggles, to express my voice and engage the reader with my words, ; however, if I do so it’s because it has been a recurrent issue for me when writing. Each time I write I attempt to accomplish my goal: to expand the reader’s knowledge with new perspectives on a matter, my viewpoints.

Finally, Lammot argues the importance of reverence, “as awe, as presence in and openness to the world.” (99) When we do not possess or practice this quality we shut down as we limit ourselves and our viewpoints as writers. I would like to agree with Lammot as she explains that “when what we see catches us off guard, and when we write it realistically and as open as possible, it offers hopes”; unfortunately, I find this quote improbable, which is the reason I dislike it. A writer can attempt to provide hope for the reader; however, he or she would find hope not only by reading the pains of the world and humans, but by the thought those things could always be worse and that if they are worse they have to get better.  With Lammot’s view I believe that the writer would end up providing the reader only with hope. Yes, we do have to be as open as possible and realistic, but if the world is becoming a worse place for future generations, we should not pout about or expect it to become better with our hopes, we can be optimistic but not only be optimistic; we must change the patterns that have made it this way.
Reference: Lammot, Anne. "Looking Around." Bird by Bird. New York: Anchor, 1997. Print

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario