miércoles, 26 de septiembre de 2012

Reflection on my writing


Personal essays have a greater appeal to the reader by narrating stories with feelings, conflicts and dramas in which the writer can become different characters at the same time.  I always enjoy writing them because feel like I can get away from all the formality and express myself as I would among family and friends. Born and Raised: Change is inevitable, my essay #2, was no different. Even though it was a simple topic to write about, it required me to recollect past experiences, which were not always the best. I drafted and redrafted the essay over and over again because I did not want to over-expound personal details of my life at ages seven and fourteen. Despite of my attempts, I still believe I was a bit too personal. If I had the opportunity, I would omit some of the things I mentioned and would infuse more analysis into (why I had) some of my thoughts and (did certain) actions at those ages. I believe that the changes would have given the essay an adequate balance of analysis and emotion, rather than conveying more of one side than of the other.  I do not regret what I wrote or how the essay resulted, but I do believe there was room for improvement.



1 comentarios:

Nancy Alvarez dijo...

great reflection! finding a balance in how much/little to reveal about your personal life is important and difficult in writing. that's why I had you all read those articles on ethics, before everyone started over-sharing ;) but with an assignment like essay #2, some sharing is almost necessary so that the reader can feel something for the writer. I agree that some analyzation about actions/attitude can sometimes be more engaging that just revealing secrets. and this is why writing is hard and so much practice is necessary :)

Publicar un comentario